TOP 10 TIPS FOR HOW TO BUY THE PERFECT BABY GIFT
By artist Louisa Smedley
The birth of a new baby is a huge moment to celebrate but how do you choose the perfect gift to mark that special occasion?
When I had my babies, 12 and 10 years ago now, I was working as a primary school teacher in a gorgeous little school on the edge of Leeds. As you can imagine all my fellow teachers love a new baby and both times I was showered in gifts galore. Obviously I was super happy with all of my gifts but what makes a gift stand out perfect?
- Sleep Sleep Sleep …You can do anything with enough sleep. So a gift that helps that precious little bubba drift off and stay in the land of nod is a must have!
- Safety - is a top priority, check that your gift has passed any official safety standards and make sure that what you buy is age appropriate.
- Keepsakes - I absolutely adore the gifts that capture wonderful memories. Something that can be treasured forever.
- Personalised - adds a special touch and artisan is even better. The Photo Puzzle and Roary & Buddy are perfect examples!
- Educational - did you know that babies start learning in the womb and processing language like adults from only two days old! Wow! Support their learning journey with great gifts.
- Essentials - as a new parent you can never have enough muslins, bibs, soothers, baby grows and thinking ahead, how essential is a teether?!!
- Gender neutral - particularly good if the baby hasn’t been born yet! Also, the ability to shop flawlessly for gender-neutral baby gifts is a skill that will keep on giving, especially now that gender “norms” are being challenged and rejected more than ever before.
- Ethical or Fairtrade - Each time you buy fair trade products you are directly choosing to end exploitation of workers around the globe, what’s not to love? Look out for this symbol.
- Low carbon footprint - Shopping local and Independent is a great way to help here. Did you know that each time you make a local or independent purchase there is a real human being doing a little happy dance?!
- Cute and gorgeous - something that evokes an emotional response, well who can resist that cute fluffy bunny, hey?